Monday, May 23, 2011

What time is it?? SUMMERTIME!!

OK...am I the only one who does "End of the school" gifts for my kids?? I think it is so fun to try to put something together for each of my boys the end of school so when they walk in from school on the last day, they have something fun!!
Here are a few ideas.
THREE YEARS AGO...
I made each of my boys an "Art Tote." I found small bathroom caddy's at the dollar store and filled each caddy with coloring books, workbooks, construction paper, scribble pads, flash cards & some small puzzles. Each boy got different books/activities based on there grade level. I found all the books/supplies at, where else, Dollar Tree.
I velcro-ed 4 small cups in the front of the tote (also found at the Dollar Tree) each cup filled with different art supplies. Each tote had its own paint, markers, crayons, glue sticks, pencils & scissors. My boys LOVED them and still use them today for homework projects. Each boys has all his own art supplies so no fighting over crayons.
TWO YEARS AGO...
I found each of my boys a small draw string backpack.
(Each a different color or style). You can find these everywhere and a lot of times you can even get them for free.
I have been trading kids with two of my friends for the last couple summers so my boys could have a play date with there friends at least once a week. I got them the backpacks to make it easier to go to playgroup.
I filled each one with a swim towel, sun screen, goggles & a water bottle. So my boys would always be prepared to head out the door. It made play dates way easier to prepare for because each boy was in charge to "prep" his own back pack with what he'd need. Again, the boys loved them and they were really useful. We still use them for play dates, sleepovers & road trips.
LAST YEAR...AND THIS YEAR
Summer Movie Bucket!!
Our family LOVES movies!! We have family movie night every Friday night. So we look forward to the new movies that come out in the summer. However, our family movie night does pose one problem. Because we watch movies EVERY FRIDAY, my boys DON'T want to go to the cheap "Summer Movies" at the theatres because we've already seen all the movies they offer (many times more than once).
Soo...here's the solution. Instead, the last 2 summers, I have bought the 3 older boys there own movie gift card. The new movies only cost $5.00 to see on Friday and Saturday mornings before noon. So with a gift card for $40 you get to see 8 new movies during the summer. I know...it's NOT cheap. But it's one summer activity that the whole family looks forward too.   
We have a HUGE bucket that I stock with munchies and candy. Then I tie on a "Movie Menu" with the movie release dates so my boys know which movies we are going to see and when. They LOVE it!! Before each movie we go to, they get to pick something out of the movie munchies bucket. We also keep the gift cards in the bucket so they don't get lost.
HAPPY SUMMER EVERYONE!!

No comments:

Post a Comment